Our social:

Thursday, November 9, 2017

[Gabbin' with Gamers] That Nerd Violet



Today on Gabbin' with Gamers, Violet (a.k.a. That Nerd Violet) joins us to share her background in gaming. After coming across your Instagram and Twitch account, we at The Switch Effect thought you would be the perfect gamer to speak with!

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
Hi, folks! My name is Violet and I was born and raised in Boston, MA. I’m a life-long gamer, pizza enthusiast, and gravitationally challenged.

Can you tell us about how you got into gaming and collecting?
I’ve been playing video games ever since I can remember, thanks to my cousins and early childhood friends. As a 90’s kid, I didn’t know anyone who didn’t own a console (Nintendo) so I became familiar with the games quickly until my parents surprised me with my own on Christmas morning.
That Nerd Violet knows how to mix gaming with humor

What was the first console and game that you owned?My first ever console was a Super Nintendo. I remember waking up on Christmas and opening up my gift--I couldn’t believe it! It came bundled with Donkey Kong Country and that’s all I played for weeks until my father took me to Blockbuster to rent some more games.
Do you have any fond childhood memories based around gaming? 
Most of my childhood memories revolve around gaming. Whether it was playing with my next-door neighbor, school friends, older cousins--we played as much as we could! We had such fun times together and many bellyaches from laughing so much.

Were any of your family members enthusiastic about gaming?
Definitely my cousins, but not my parents. I think at some point they believed I’d “grow out” of games, but that never happened. They eventually came around and we did end up playing the original Wii games together often.

Let's jump forward a bit. Here's one to get you thinking. If you weren't collecting games, what would be your hobby?
I’m still a nerd at heart, so I would have to say collecting leather-bound books. I have started a small collection but I focus more on games and only treat myself to books every so often. I think books and video games are similar in that they let you escape from the real world and live someone else’s life with different choices than your own. Both are extremely healthy outlets for the mind and body.

As you're aware, technology continues to advance the gaming industry. Have you been a fan of these changes? 
There are pros and cons as the industry continues to evolve. I’ve been very much enjoying how indie developers have been able to get crowd funding in order to create games consumers want to play. Alternatively, I think there has been a huge increase with games having paid DLC content and/or games with many micro transactions.

Where do you think technology will bring us in the future?
I’m worried that the future of the industry will only be dollar signs and not player experience. Outside of that fear, I believe we will see cellphone gaming rise more than ever before, with consoles turning towards VR.

We at The Switch Effect are obviously big fans of Nintendo's new console. What are your impressions of the Switch?
While I don’t have one of my own (the first Nintendo console I haven’t bought), I have loved gaming on it at various friend’s houses. I really think it was a new frontier to melt a regular console with a handheld and now the players can do both with one system. My one gripe with it (and what I was upset about with the Wii U) is the lack of currently available games to justify the hefty price tag. I love Mario and Zelda as much as the next Nintendo fanatic, but I cannot personally afford to buy an expensive system just for two games.

Which new games are you looking forward to the most?
For the Switch, I’m excited to try a demo of Super Mario Odyssey. In terms of other games, I cannot wait to play The Sims 4: Cats & Dogs, Hello Neighbor, and the long-awaited We Happy Few.

We came across your Instagram and Twitch account and really enjoyed your pictures/videos. What interested you in starting a social media account and especially a Twitch account?
I knew I wanted to get into streaming on Twitch so creating a social media presence was very important to me in order to connect with other streamers, build a community, and interact with other people who all love games!

What would you say makes your videos unique and different from others?
My streams are based around humor, viewer engagement, and community. I make sure all of my viewers are involved with my stream in all aspects and treat them as family--not numbers.

There's no better feeling that feeling engaged with your fan!

What is the best way for our readers/followers to keep up with you?
Any of my social media accounts!

Last question now that I've run you through the gauntlet. Is there anything else you'd like to share?
I’ve met wonderful friends so far in my streaming journey and I’m so grateful to connect with other like-minded individuals. Growing up, gaming wasn’t cool. Within the past few years, more people have turned to games as their escape.  There’s so many different types of people in the community now that you wouldn’t have seen even ten years ago. I’ve loved seeing everything evolve, from the player base to the technology. Thanks for taking the time to interview me!

Thank you again for taking the time to speak with The Switch Effect and for our readers to learn more about your gaming passion.

To follow That Nerd Violet, make sure to use the links below:

        

0 comments:

Post a Comment