Our social:

Thursday, November 9, 2017

[Gabbin' with Gamers] Console Wars


Today on Gabbin’ with Gamers, we have a VERY special guest. You might know him as the Sega guy from the hit YouTube channel, Console Wars, but to others he is simply known as Dan. Console Wars is the highly popular and extremely entertaining YouTube Channel that compares games that came out for both the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis. In fact, before you even get to this review, go watch Console Wars! Then come back…please.


So let’s begin. Dan, thank you so much for speaking with us. Even though The Switch Effect is slightly biased toward Nintendo, we know you represent Sega and let’s be honest, Sega is as much of our childhood as Nintendo. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
I’m one of the co-stars of the Console Wars series on YouTube. It’s a series where my buddy Greg and I play rivals who compare Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis games. Greg plays the Nintendo guy and I play the Sega guy. We compare games and throw in some humor too. I also do the writing, editing, and make the music as well.

Can you tell us about how you got into gaming and what the first console/game you ever owned was?
My first console was an NES. It came with the Super Mario/Duck Hunt combo. I still remember putting the game in backwards the first time. I also used to move the controller up whenever I jumped in the game. Eventually, I got both the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis. There was no war for me since I had everything. Perks of being an only child, lol.

So, Console Wars. We at The Switch Effect are huge fans and I was even lucky enough to meet you at A Video Game Con this past September in NJ. Could you share with us how Console Wars came to be?
I was a big AVGN fan (still am). I thought it would be cool to do something like that. I think the exact moment I came up with the idea was when I was looking up music for Ys III: Wanderers from Ys. I played the SNES version growing up and when I looked up the music I came across the Genesis soundtrack. I couldn’t believe how different it sounded. I thought that someone has to make a comparison video about this. Then I thought I should just do it.


I eventually asked Greg to help, but just to capture game footage. I was going to do the show solo, like the Nerd. But after I left his house I realized a 2-person show would be more interesting. It could reignite the rivalry of the 90’s. People could pick sides. So after I left Greg’s house, I e-mailed him my idea for a 2-man show and Console Wars was born.

With your first comparison video being Aladdin over five years ago, did you ever expect to be the sensation you are today?
I wouldn’t call us a sensation, lol. I just hoped people would like it. It took us a year and a half to get 50 subscribers so it was a slow burn for us. I’m happy to see the channel grow as much as it has.


Where do you see the channel growing into and what can fans look forward to in the future?
I’d like to branch out more. We want to start comparing Nintendo and Sega Master System games soon. I also want to do a smaller series where we compare Genesis vs Sega Cd, Retro game vs Remakes, and Gameboy vs Game Gear. Just need to find the time.

These last few questions are to dive a little deeper into your own personal thoughts. As you're aware, technology continues to advance the gaming industry. Have you been a fan of these changes? 
I have some gripes with these some things. One thing I don’t like is DLC. Once you buy a game you don’t own everything anymore. There’s always more stuff to buy. I get if you like a game and want more, but they should just make another game. I also don’t like everything going digital. I like my physical copies of my games. I get digital is that future like it was for music and movies. That’s just me being a grumpy old man.

We feel you!
I do like VR. I tried it a few times and think it’s headed in the right direction. It’ll be cool to see how immersive it becomes over the next 10 years.

Where do you think technology will bring us in the future?
Everything will be drilled into our brains. No more physical media. It’s all downloaded to a chip to our brains. That’s what I get for listening to too much Joe Rogan, lol.

What are your impressions of the Switch?
It seems cool. I don’t own one, but I’ve briefly played it. Having that much power on the go or at home is def a step in the right direction. Greg has one and likes it, but his is starting to curve. So I’m a little hesitant to get one. Maybe once the curving stops happening. 

Which new games are you looking forward to the most?
I’m really behind on new games.  I want to play the new South Park game. I also haven’t play Ys VIII yet and Dynasty Warriors 9. I’ve been a fan of the Chinese Han Dynasty history since I was first introduced to it on the NES in Destiny of an Emperor.

What is the best way for our readers/followers to keep up with you?
Following us on YouTube. We also have Facebook, Twitter and Instagram too. 


I can see I’ve run you through the gauntlet so I’ll end with this last question: Is there anything else you'd like to share?
If anyone else out there wants to start a YouTube channel, but isn’t sure, just do it. You really have nothing to lose. I had no experience with video, editing, script writing, “acting,” game capturing…anything. I just made it up as I went along and somehow people liked it. If I can do it, anyone can. And don’t let negative feedback get you down. It’s the internet, you can’t avoid that. 

Dan, thank you again for taking the time to speak with us and we look forward to more installments of Console Wars as well as what is to come in 2018. THIS IS CONSOLE WARS!!!


To follow Console Wars, click the links below:

         




0 comments:

Post a Comment