Our social:

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

[Gabbin' with Gamers] Oldschoolgamecollector




Josh (a.k.a. Oldschoolgamecollector) joins The Switch Effect in the latest installment of Gabbin’ with Gamers. Having over 36,700 followers on Instagram, the Oldschoolgamecollector is someone worth learning more about. So without further ado, here’s Josh!

Oldschoolgamecollector

Thank you for giving us this interview. I came upon your Instagram page and I see that you're a big collector. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

My name is Josh and I live in Houston, Texas (go Astros ;)). Besides collecting games and gaming paraphernalia, I am an avid reader, I play music full-time and have traveled to over 34 states and 6 countries with music. Fun fact: I was a Vegas Week Finalist on America’s Got Talent in 2008. I also am constantly listening to music. If a game doesn’t have a good soundtrack, I make my own (ha)!

Can you tell us about how you got into gaming and collecting?

Yeah, the story goes back to 1990. I actually share this in my bio on Instagram. I was 4 years old and we had finished opening our presents on Christmas morning when my dad says, “I’ve got one last gift for you and your brother.” We tear into the present and I’m fairly certain that the heavens opened, a choir of angels started singing as we stared at a brand new NES. As overstated as this may sound, it was a life changing moment for me. I beat Super Mario Bros. as a 4-year-old and I’ve been hooked since. My father was, and still is, an avid collector of baseball cards and memorabilia. He instilled in me at a young age not to get rid of certain things, which runs completely contrary to my propensity to rid my house of anything. I hate clutter! One of the things my dad told me to hold onto was my video game collection. I’m so thankful he did. I’ve been collecting ever since. 

 “I’ve got one last gift for you and your brother.”

What was the first console and game that you owned?

An NES with Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt. I also got R.B.I. Baseball that day and played it to death. 

Do you have any fond childhood memories based around gaming? 

I have a bunch. I remember my best friend in Elementary School had a lot more money than I did and his family would get him new games on almost every Friday, so I would go there almost every week to play. He owned a Playstation and I didn’t so I played Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, Madden, Final Fantasy VII, and Resident Evil for the first time over there. I also remember very well playing Final Fantasy Tactics for the first time. It was one of the first games that completely engrossed me. I’m still holding out hope for Square Enix to bring us back to Ivalice!

Were any of your family members enthusiastic about gaming?

Not really. My father played with me a bit when I was super young, but he was incredibly competitive. My dad does not have anger issues, but for some reason Pac-Man brought about the dark side in him (hahaha)! He would ashamedly tell you he broke quite a few controllers playing Pac-Man so he hung up the controller. 

Let's jump forward a bit. Here's one to get you thinking. If you weren't collecting games, what would be your hobby?

I really like to read fiction. Just finished Dan Brown’s Origin and Blake Crouch’s Dark Matter this week! I would probably spend a lot of my money on vinyl if I didn’t buy old games. I love listening to good vinyl. I also really like sports, but my interest has waned a bit in the last few years. I really enjoy playing tennis and do regularly. I’d maybe workout a bit more J

As you're aware, technology continues to advance the gaming industry. Have you been a fan of these changes? 

 I’m not a huge fan of mobile gaming. I like fully fledged out, engrossing experiences. I bring my Vita, PSPGO, 3DS, or Switch with me when I travel because I dig full games much more. Although, admittedly, I haven’t played many mobile games, so I could be way off based on my assertions of mobile games being surface level. I haven’t tried VR so I can’t speak much into it. 

If the advances you are talking about are in regards to graphical fidelity, I’m totally cool with that if games aren’t just relying on their aesthetic to sell. I’m so thankful for companies like Naughty Dog that make incredible experiences while enhancing storytelling, sound, and graphics. On the opposite end, I don’t feel that way with games like Final Fantasy. I LOVED 3/6,7,8,9,10 and 12, but then it seemed like there was a heavy reliance on graphical enhancements and gameplay started to fall to the wayside. I bring up Final Fantasy because it’s my favorite franchise ever. Side Note: I loved A Realm Reborn

Where do you think technology will bring us in the future?

I’m no prophet, but if the last few decades tell us anything about our future, it’s that technology is growing at alarmingly fast rates. A Ready Player One Oasis may not be too far out of reach within the next few decades. I remember reading that all the computers combined in the Mission Control Room for the first moon landing aren’t as powerful as the first generation iPhone. Let that sink in! That is absolutely insane. We have technology in our hands that far exceed the power of the entirety of the Mission Control room in 1969!

The future is coming!

We at The Switch Effect are obviously big fans of Nintendo's new console. What are your impressions of the Switch?

I LOVE IT! I am thankful to see Nintendo doing so well right now. I also appreciate their honesty about their missteps in the past. 

I truly feel like the Switch was made for someone like me. I travel around 16 weeks a year with music and the Switch goes with me everywhere I travel to. I literally just landed at IAH and was playing NBA 2K18 the whole flight. Now I’m on my way to pick up Super Mario Odyssey and I’ll dock my Switch and play it that way when I get home. How awesome is that? Not to mention, Breath of the Wild is one of the greatest gaming experiences I have ever had. I can’t really remember the last time I was as awestricken playing a game. Maybe Uncharted 2

Which new games are you looking forward to the most?

Super Mario Odyssey without a doubt. I’m really pumped for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as well. However, I am most excited for Ni No Kuni 2. The first one was my game of the year in 2013. The gameplay, the sound, the art style, and the story were all perfect to me. I just absolutely loved that game. I think I’ll also pick up Skyrim for the Switch. This may be heretical but I haven’t played Skyrim.... ever. 

We came across your Instagram account and loved seeing your collections. What interested you in starting a social media account?

Thanks a bunch. I truly appreciate it. I have a large social media following on my personal/music page, but felt restrained in some ways. I felt like I couldn’t muddy the waters by posting about my collection on my Joshua Price Music pages so I decided to start a new one entirely. To my surprise, a bunch of people went over to the Oldschoolgamecollector from Joshua Price Music. It’s really been a joy. Sincerely, the best part is the interaction with other gamers. 

What is the best way for our readers/followers to keep up with you?

I have an Instagram account, website, and I just started a YouTube channel. The links can be found below.

Last question now that I've run you through the gauntlet. Is there anything else you'd like to share?

Thank y’all for the interview and happy gaming everyone!

Thank you Josh for taking the time to speak with us and we at The Switch Effect look forward to your future posts and videos!

Follow Josh by using the links below:

        

You may also like

[Review] Moon Hunters

[Interview] Limited Run Games






0 comments:

Post a Comment